Wednesday, July 11, 2007

To begin my life with the begining of my life...

Here I am doing something I never intended to: creating a blog. I would like to take this opportunity to blame it on my sister, the Frau Magister of lambcurryandrice.blogspot.com. She gave me the challenge the other day when she asked, "Why not? Or are you the type who's morally opposed to blogging?" Thus accused, I have decided to give in and start blogging myself.

Because I can't think of anything else to write today and have yet to figure out how to post pictures, I will briefly explain the use of "Carrie Nation" as my byline. One of my parents' nicknames for me since I was a little girl was Carrie Nation. I don't think it has anything to do with the temperance movement, if that even exists anymore. In fact, now that I think about it, I have no idea why they gave me the nickname except that my first name is Carolyn. I assume it was my dad who came up with that one. (But, I was just corrected in the comments by dad who says it was mom's. Oops, sorry.) My parents also call me Carolina Moonbeam, and a lot of my childhood friends call me "Car" (pronounced like "care"). But, in the end, I decided to use Carrie Nation. I will try to write more interesting posts in the future. It seems all of today's creative energy has been spent on names and titles. Cheers!

6 comments:

jkittles said...

Hey there, Carolyn! I must admit that I wasn't aware of this particular piece of Carolyn Trivia ;-) Good luck with the blogging!

Anonymous said...

Mama did it, not the Papa.Papa

Frau Magister said...

I love your title; so perfect. I must say I feel sheepish but also satisfied that you're blogging, even if you aren't going with your original title idea of "wienerschnitzel is not a hot dog".

As for nicknames, I also remember the variations "Carolina Moonshine" and "Car-Car" and then Grandpa's favorite, "Peanuts". Then there was that time you got your teacher to call you Carol . . .

Carrie Nation said...

yeah, let's not talk about that one...

Anonymous said...

What an interesting idea to excavate the origin of the nickname "Carrie Nation". When interacting with little Carolyn, there were many nicknames that emerged as you mentioned (including Lyna-Boo). Carrie seemed a likely nickname but when I said it I found that my mind was wired in such a way (because of Mr. Holmstead's history class) that Carrie was attached to Nation. Anyway Carrie Nation is more interesting than Carrie Fisher for example. Did I somehow sense that you were going to devote yourself to working for causes that were important? Not at all though you were a reformer in our household, e.g. "turn off the water while shaving." But really I started singing the "Johnny Angel" song: "Carrie Nation, How I love you..."
That's the way I remember it.

Anonymous said...

This blogger needs to put on her blogging shoes and spin some more yarns. Love, Mutti